The Philippus Miller III Legacy Endowment offers recipients the opportunity to:
- Get to know Phil Miller, why he was so influential, and how he was capable of touching so many lives
- Give students an opportunity to develop new friendships with CHS alumni and their own classmates, learn the importance of helping others and paying it forward.
- Understand the importance of the CHS and how they can benefit from it AND how they can play an active role in expanding and maintaining the world-wide connections amongst Hotelies (how they can benefit the CHS).
- Pass on Phil’s legacy of deep-rooted values of service to the generations to come.
- The hope that this effort will also address the relationship needs of people. Phil was about “Friend-Raising”.
This opportunity will be offered to at least one junior (or more) in the School of Hotel Administration (SHA). Successful applicants should demonstrate an understanding of the spirit of Phil Miller, the importance of connecting and giving back (financial need is not a criterion). The selection committee will consist of SHA faculty, staff and alumni. The successful applicants will be given an opportunity to attend one of several CHS events, being assigned an alumni mentor while they are attending the event who will be responsible to help introduce them to other alumni (as well as get to know them). These students will then return to campus and share their experience and contacts with other student hotelies at a Collegiate Chapter sponsored “pizza” event.
The money from this endowment will be used to pay only for the expenses to have the student attend the event (which would be transportation, accommodations, food, registration).
Recipients of the Philippus Miller III Award become known as a Phil Legacy
The Cornell Hotel Society (CHS) and CHS Foundation generously sponsor this special prize to graduating seniors in the School of Hotel Administration. One senior recipient will be selected to receive a $5,000 cash prize and will address that year’s graduating class at the Hotel School Commencement ceremony in May. Semi-finalists will also receive a monetary award. Finalists must be able to participate in the required on-campus interview in March, and the award ceremony in May.
Application for this $5,000 award is limited to fourth-year undergraduate students in the School of Hotel Administration. The selection committee is interested in evidence of the applicant’s contributions to the school, university, and/or community while at Cornell, as well as their determination and dedication as a student. Consideration also will be given to their potential future achievement as a CHS alumna/alumnus, as a member of the CHS, and in general as a contributing member of society. Financial need is not a criterion.