This endowment is designed to recognize and celebrate Phil’s legacy as a builder of networks and relationships. Phil was the heart of our one-of-a-kind global alumni family that is the foundation of the Cornell Hotel Society. Successful applicants should demonstrate an understanding of the spirit of Phil Miller, the importance of connecting and giving back (financial need is not a criterion).
The purpose is to provide one or more Hotel School students, typically in their junior year, an opportunity to attend one of the several major CHS events held around the world. The grant is intended to offset the costs of travel, lodging and event registration so that recipients can fully engage with alumni and other attendees.
Recipients will be assigned an alumni mentor while they are attending the event who will be responsible to help introduce them to other alumni (as well as get to know them). In much the same way that Phil did for years at these events. These students will then return to campus and share their experience and contacts with other student hotelies at an appropriate CHS Collegiate Chapter sponsored event.
Most importantly, these awards are not necessarily meant to reward Super Star students far along their path to success. But rather the application process and selection criteria will seek to find students, who like Phil, embrace the Hotelie for Life®️ spirit and are the type of student that would have benefited from Phil’s helping hand. The selection committee will comprise SHA Faculty, Staff, Alumni and CHS representation.
We believe this effort will help preserve Phil’s legacy in several ways, including:
- Get to know Phil Miller, why was he so influential, how did he touch so many lives?
- Give students an opportunity to develop new friendships with CHS alumni and their own classmates, learn the importance of helping others and paying it forward.
- Understand the importance of CHS and what it means to be a Hotelie for Life®️. Further learn how they can benefit from it AND how they can play an active role in expanding and maintaining the world-wide connections amongst Hotelies.
- Pass on Phil’s legacy of deep-rooted values of service to the generations to come. The recipients of these awards become part of the Phil Legacy.
- Phil was about “Friend-Raising”. The hope is that this effort will embrace and facilitate the relationship needs of people.
We urge you to support the The Philippus Miller III Legacy Endowment.
This Endowment Fund was established with a goal to receive gifts totaling at least $187,500 within five years. In making this commitment, the Endowment qualifies for $62,500 in matching funds bringing the total Fund to at least $250,000. Annual returns from the Fund will be used to cover the expenses with any remainder being reinvested in the Fund.
We encourage you to generously support this Endowment and to help keep Phil’s legacy alive for generations of Hotelies to come.